The military special task force ‘Operation Safe Haven’ in Plateau says it has arrested some suspects in connection to the recent mass killing in the state.
According to The Nation, the suspects were paraded on Monday before journalists at the STF headquarters, Jos by Adam Umar, media officer of the task force, and Tyopev Terna, spokesman for the state police command.
Umar said 11 of the suspects were arrested in direct link to the attack while the rest were arrested at the scene of protests after the attacks.
“Out of the 21 suspects arrested so far, 11 of them are those arrested in connection to the killings in Barkin Ladi and environs, while 14 of them were arrested from the scene of the civil disturbances after the attacks,” Umar said.
“The suspects we are parading were arrested with arms, some of them with locally made guns, revolver and other dangerous weapons which they are not supposed to have as citizens.
“Information we extracted from the original suspects led us to trace some other accomplices and we have also arrested them. And there is the possibility of making more arrest over those killings as we intensify our efforts to get to the root of the killings in pursuant of our mandate to prevent further killings and restore total peace in the state.
“In our commitment and desire not to give the attackers opportunity to operate or opportunity to escape after attack, the commander of OPSH has relocated to Barkin Ladi based on his resolve to remain with the villagers and monitor things closely and to be able to respond faster to distress calls from residents in danger.”
Meanwhile, the government has relaxed the curfew placed on three local government areas in the state.
Rufus Bature, secretary to the state government, said the decision is informed by the return of “relative peace and calm” in the state.