Wednesday, May 18, 2022
MARKET UPDATE
Advertisement

TheCable

Abuja blast: Jonathan cuts short trip

Abuja blast: Jonathan cuts short trip
June 25
21:08 2014

President Goodluck Jonathan has cut short his trip to Malabo, Equatorial Guinea, following the blast that killed 21 persons and injured 17 others in Abuja on Wednesday.

Jonathan had left Abuja for the 23rd Ordinary Session of the African Union’s summit of heads of state and government before the blast occurred.

A presidential aide told TheCable that the president learnt of the attack on arrival in Malabo.

Jonathan was originally scheduled to return on Friday after the summit.

Advertisement

“There is every likelihood that the president will return to the country on Thursday,” the aide had said, before presidential spokesman Reuben Abati later confirmed to TheCable that the president would return home on Thursday.

Abati had issued a statement earlier in the day to announce the trip.

He said the president was accompanied by his wife, Patience, and the ministers of foreign affairs, agriculture, water resources, health and industry, trade and investment.

Advertisement

The summit is expected to discuss the evolution and implementation of fresh strategies and measures to improve agricultural production and food security in the continent.

AU had declared 2014 as the Year of Agriculture and Food Security.

The president and other African leaders, participating in the summit, will also deliberate on the appointment of judges of the African Court of Justice, according to Abati.

Advertisement

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

There are no comments at the moment, do you want to add one?

Write a comment

Write a Comment