Sunday, December 3, 2023


Boko Haram commander ‘arrested in Lagos’

Boko Haram commander ‘arrested in Lagos’
December 21
14:54 2018

The intelligence response team (IRT) of the inspector-general of police has reportedly arrested one Umar Abdulmalik, purportedly one of the most wanted Boko Haram leaders.

According to The Nation, the 39-year-old, who is said to be responsible for the deaths of more than 200 people, was arrested in his hideout in Lagos.

He is said to have played roles in explosions that rocked Nyanya and Kuje in Abuja,  in 2015.

Umar is also accused of leading a gang that killed seven police officers at Gwagwalada, Abuja and a mastermind of bank heists mostly in the southern part of the country.


The newspaper said Umar was arrested at a nurse’s house where he was receiving treatment for the bullet wounds he sustained during a recent exchange of fire with the police officers in Abuja.

He reportedly fled Abuja after some members of his gang were arrested.

The newspaper quoted a police source as saying that Abba Kyari, a deputy commissioner of police (DCP), and members of his men had been trailing the suspect since he got to Lagos about three weeks ago.


“He was also the one who brought all  the bombs they used during the Nyanya and Kuje attacks in 2015. We have arrrsted some of his members who are in court now,” the source said

“They were the ones who gave us his details and since then we have been looking for him. He has one eye and is responsible for over 200 killings.

“We arrested four of his gang members three weeks ago in Abuja and recovered four AK47 rifles which they took from the policemen they killed at Gwagwalada.

“He escaped at that operation with gun wounds and fled to Lagos. We have been on his trail since then. He went to his sister’s house in Mowe to hide. His sister was treating him of the bullet wounds.


“We have arrested her and her husband too because they are accomplices. He was the Grand Commander of the attack and rescue operations of the Prison in Niger State early this year where he lost one of his eyes during the operation while over 100 prisoners escaped.”

Efforts by TheCable to reach Jimoh Moshood, spokesman of the police, to confirm the development were not successful as his phone rang out and he did not respond to text messages sent to him.

Click on the link below to join TheCable Channel on WhatsApp for your Breaking News, Business Analysis, Politics, Fact Check, Sports and Entertainment News!


No Comments Yet!

There are no comments at the moment, do you want to add one?

Write a comment

Write a Comment

error: Content is protected from copying.