Thursday, October 22, 2020
MARKET UPDATE
Advertisement

TheCable

Advertisement
 ON THE GO

Gunmen open fire on Borno gov’s convoy

Gunmen open fire on Borno gov’s convoy
July 29
20:28 2020

The convoy of Babagana Zulum, governor of Borno state, was attacked at Baga, a town in the state, on Wednesday.

Advertisement

A security source told TheCable that the governor was on his way to some internally displaced persons (IDP) camps in the northern part of Borno when the incident happened.

“The governor went to Kukawa, and on his way to Baga his convoy was attacked. Nobody was injured,” the source said.

It is unclear if Boko Haram insurgents are behind the attack.

Advertisement

TheCable gathered that Zulum had not returned to Maiduguri, the state capital, as of 9:10pm on Wednesday.

But Mohammed Mai Bukar, one of the governor’s aides, assured residents that he is safe.

In a Facebook post, Bukar wrote: “To Our Concerned citizens H.E Prof.Zulum and His Entourage are all fine and there was (were) no casualties. Thanks!”

Advertisement

This is the second known attack on the convoy of Zulum within a year.

While returning from a trip to Bama local government area last year, his convoy was attacked at Konduga in Borno.

That attack happened seven months after Boko Haram insurgents targetted the convoy of Kashim Shettima, Zulum’s successor, on his way to Gamboru Ngala, still in Borno.

At least 60 persons were reportedly killed in the incident while over 100 were kidnapped.

Advertisement

Editor’s note: This picture was used for illustrative purposes

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

There are no comments at the moment, do you want to add one?

Write a comment

Write a Comment