Tuesday, November 29, 2022
MARKET UPDATE
Advertisement

TheCable

Advertisement
Cable Ads

Soldiers ‘free’ 200 girls from Sambisa

Soldiers ‘free’ 200 girls from Sambisa
April 28
20:46 2015

The Nigerian military says it has rescued 200 girls and 93 women from Sambisa forest, a stronghold of the Boko Haram sect in Borno state.

Making the announcement on its official Twitter handle on Tuesday evening, the defence headquarters said it could not confirm the identity of the freed victims and their origins, hence it could not state if any of them was from Chibok until thorough screening and proper investigations had been completed.

“Troops this afternoon rescued 200 girls & 93 women from #Sambisa Forest. We cannot confirm if the #ChibokGirls are in this group,”read the statement.

“Troops captured and destroyed 3 terrorists camps including the notorious Tokumbere camp in the #Sambisa Forest Operation.

Advertisement

“#Sambisa Forest: The freed persons are now being screened and profiled. We will bring you details later.”

Advertisement

Sambisa forest became popular after the abduction of over 2oo schoolgirls from Government Secondary School, Chibok, on April 14, 2015. Unconfirmed reports had it that the girls were kept in the forest.

Advertisement

Their abduction sparked a global reaction, with the international community pledging to assist Nigeria in securing their freedom. But all efforts to rescue them have not yielded the desired result.

At a security briefing on April 15, 2015, Mike Omeri, director-general of the national orientation agency and coordinator of the national information centre, had disclosed that operations were going on in Sambisa and the areas where the girls are believed to be held.

Advertisement

Around the same time, Sambo Dasuki, the national security adviser, assured Nigerians that security agencies would liberate Sambisa before May 29, 2015, when Goodluck Jonathan would hand over to Muhammadu Buhari as president of the country.

“Right now, all Boko Haram camps, except Sambisa Forest, have been destroyed,” he said. “Every movement of the terrorists is being monitored and every necessary detail is being taken care of to rid the country of the last bastion of terrorists’ infestation.”

Advertisement

But on April 23, it was reported that soldiers were retreating from Sambisa after three civilian JTF members were killed by a land mine believed to have been set by Boko Haram members.

But the defence headquarters (DHQ) refuted the reports, claiming that its operations were gaining grounds.

Advertisement

“Troops have not retreated from Sambisa forest as claimed by sme sources. Rather, the operation is progressing and gaining increasing momentum towards clearing all terrorists hideouts in the forest,” read a statement issued by DHQ.

18 Comments

  1. Salewa
    Salewa April 28, 21:31

    By God’s grace, everyone in boko haram’s custody will get back home.

    Reply to this comment
  2. Ecowasia
    Ecowasia April 28, 22:46

    Your comment..nice wok…….kudos naija soldiers

    Reply to this comment
  3. bola
    bola April 28, 23:08

    I m relieved

    Reply to this comment
  4. Bo
    Bo April 29, 00:39

    No kudos to Naija soldiers, where were they before that it took so long to rescue these girls and women. something fishy is going on. Why weren’t they rescued since. I believe this administration cannot be absolved of all blame with regards to the way this mission was handled. God save Nigeria from terrorist.

    Reply to this comment
    • Bizzy
      Bizzy April 29, 06:50

      What sort of question is that? Where were the soldiers? Does the US seals just opt and go fight a battle they are not commissioned to and adequately equipped with armories?! Can u sir put ur life at risk and battle the insurgency? Pls don’t point fingers at the army if you don’t have anything encouraging to say

      Reply to this comment
    • Muyiwa
      Muyiwa April 29, 07:12

      I don’t even get this comment.
      1. Are soldiers like police that get dispatched at just any moment? It’s not a simple process to have troops deployed o.
      2. Why are you blaming the poor soldiers sacrificing their lives for you and me to be able to have thiss meaningless argument without watching our backs? It’s not their fault the girls were abducted. It’s the federal government’s fault things weren’t done fast and properly.
      Nigerians really need to get educated

      Reply to this comment
    • scopio
      scopio April 30, 06:27

      Thank you jare…. But its not the fault of the military… It’s the fault of the government

      Reply to this comment
  5. boolsam
    boolsam April 29, 02:20

    Thank God,we are making success

    Reply to this comment
  6. Enyinna
    Enyinna April 29, 04:36

    Hmmmmmmm. There is God !!!
    Kudos to President Jonathan !!!

    Reply to this comment
  7. timmie
    timmie April 29, 05:07

    Kudos to our president after the blackmail and intrigues of apc God has finally given him/us victory

    Reply to this comment
  8. sirOscie
    sirOscie April 29, 08:15

    Kudos to the Nigeria soldiers. Keep up the good job guys….It’s called CHANGE and is here to stay.

    Reply to this comment
  9. Ezy
    Ezy April 29, 10:04

    Can this be Real? If so,thanks to Jesus for His mercy. But I thought what we are expecting back is 200 girls,from where did 93 women emerge?.

    Reply to this comment
  10. Dave
    Dave April 29, 10:20

    Good job by the soldiers. And congratulations to the outgoing president. However, goodluck to incoming president. Let all Nigerians praise GOD.

    Reply to this comment
  11. Rosy
    Rosy April 29, 14:02

    Thank you Jesus, kudos to our soldiers, this just the beginning and God will keep and guide you in Jesus name. And those of you critiques with ungrateful attitudes and doubting Thomoses may God help you pray that your that none of your family member will be kidnapped

    Reply to this comment
  12. scopio
    scopio April 30, 06:22

    This is a big scam to make Jonathan look good before leaving the seat…where is the evidence that they rescued anyone? And they can not even confirm if they are from chibok .. The freed women no get mouth to talk…. All this is a big scam#

    Reply to this comment
  13. bostoyal
    bostoyal May 27, 13:56

    May God deliver Nigeria from under ground hypocrites.why were d so called 200 gals not rescued during president Jonathan active tenure,why d sudden rescue of d gals after the defeat of president GEJ at d 2015 Presidential election.Obviously something isn’t adding up here.May God deliver Nigeria from d hands of cruel leaders who do not value the lives of the citizens.

    Reply to this comment
  14. bostoyal
    bostoyal May 27, 14:08

    May God deliver Nigeria from under ground hypocrites.why were d so called 200 gals not rescued during president Jonathan active tenure,why d sudden rescue of d gals after the defeat of president GEJ at d 2015 Presidential election.Obviously something isn’t adding up here.May God deliver Nigeria from d hands of cruel leaders who do not value the lives of the citizens hmmm.

    Reply to this comment

Write a Comment