Wednesday, August 17, 2022
MARKET UPDATE
Advertisement

TheCable

Two Ebola cases confirmed in PH

Two Ebola cases confirmed in PH
August 28
09:18 2014

Two people in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, have contracted Ebola Virus Disease (EVD), minister of health, Professor Onyebuchi Chukwu, confirmed on Thursday.

Since Liberian-American Patrick Sawwyer introduced the virus to Nigeria on July 20, this is the first time an Ebola case would be confirmed outside Lagos.

According to Chukwu, the total number of cases of Ebola recorded in the country now stands at 15, against the 13 reported on Monday.

He said the two additional cases of the disease were recorded in Port Harcourt, where a staff member of ECOWAS who had contact with Patrick Sawyer but evaded surveillance, checked into a hospital in the city with symptoms of the deadly virus.

Advertisement

“As of today, August 28, the total number of Ebola cases stands at 15. Remember we told you it was 13 on Monday. But today, there have been two additional cases in Port Harcourt,” the minister said.

“A man who works for ECOWAS, a primary contact of the index case, evaded surveillance and travelled to Port Harcourt. He became ill and he went to hospital in Port Harcourt for treatment.

“Although he recovered, the doctor who treated him died last week. The widow of the doctor alerted us and we investigated the case.

Advertisement

“It is now confirmed that the doctor died of Ebola. His widow has been put under quarantine. The ECOWAS staff member is also under quarantine. There are evidence that he had the virus but might have recovered. We cannot rule out the option that he still has the virus.”

Chukwu disclosed that 70 people who are secondary contacts of the two Ebola cases in Port Harcourt have been traced and placed under surveillance.

“As it stands, 141 persons who are secondary contacts are under surveillance in Lagos, 70 in Port Harcourt and 6 in Enugu. 200 persons have completed the 21 days incubation period of the virus without developing symptoms,” he said.

“There is still only one case of virus in Lagos. The patient is responding to treatment and may be discharged soon.”

Advertisement

The minister assured Nigerians that the government would contain the virus, advising that citizens should not panic.

2 Comments

  1. 2lip
    2lip August 28, 10:14

    This is the height of irresponsibility by a Diplomat, and height of greed and senselessness by a doctor. We were just on the verge of defeating this ailment, here we are again, back to status quo.

    Reply to this comment
    • Zonia
      Zonia August 28, 14:46

      This diplomat should be put in jail as a deterrant to others. How can one endanger the lives of people like this? And the Doctor, why didnt he say something? Does the Government have access to everyone that had come into contact with him since he started treating the diplomat?

      This whole story

      Reply to this comment

Write a Comment