Wednesday, May 25, 2022
MARKET UPDATE
Advertisement

TheCable

Confusion over ‘abduction’ of 60 women in Borno

June 24
12:55 2014

About 60 women and girls in Borno State are believed to have been abducted by Boko Haram between the middle of last week and the weekend.

But the report remains unconfirmed, as key security figures in the state have denied knowledge of it.

The allegedly abducted women, it is believed, are from Kummabza, Yaga and Dagu Villages in Damboa Local Government Area, which have recently come under attack by the sect.

Officials of Damboa Local Government, military JTF and the police have denied knowledge of the alleged kidnapping.

Advertisement

TheCable’s sources in Borno State denied as well.

“It is not true that 60 women and girls and babies were abducted,” one of them said on Tuesday morning.

“The latest terrorism development in Borno State is that two suspected Boko Haram members were arrested in Chibok on Monday, after they were found to be in possession of arms and ammunition.”

Advertisement

Earlier in June, 20 Fulani women were reported to have been kidnapped by Boko Haram at a nomadic settlement near Chibok. But Fulani men in the area later denied the news, saying their women and girls were “intact”.

“We need to tell the world that there is nothing like that; all our women and girls are intact,” chairman of Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria (MACBAN), a Fulani group, Alhaji Amadu Musa, told journalists.

“It takes us this long to respond because we made series of consultation to avoid issuing conflicting statements that will generate tension.

“Though our people are nomads who frequently move in search of pasture, I have representatives in all the 27 local government areas of Borno State… We took time to consult all of them and there was no reported incident of abduction.”

Advertisement

 

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

There are no comments at the moment, do you want to add one?

Write a comment

Write a Comment