Tuesday, December 7, 2021
MARKET UPDATE

TheCable

Advertisement

Court to rule on bail request by Igboho supporters

Court to rule on bail request by Igboho supporters
August 04
13:15 2021

A federal high court in Abuja is set to rule on a bail application filed by 12 supporters of Sunday Igboho who were arrested in Oyo state.

Advertisement

The DSS on July 1 raided Igboho’s residence in Oyo and arrested 12 of his supporters, who allegedly attacked the operatives during the raid.

The supporters were subsequently moved to the federal capital territory (FCT) where they have been in detention.

Owing to their detention, the suspects through their lawyer, Pelumi Olajengbesi, filed an application asking the court to “inquire into the circumstances constituting grounds of their arrest and detention since July 2, 2021, and where it deems fit admit applicants on bail”.

Advertisement

Obiora Egwatu, the judge, said there was merit in the application and ordered the DSS to produce the applicants in court on July 29.

Although the DSS failed to bring the applicants to court on July 29, eight of them were brought on Monday, August 2.

At the resumed court session on Wednesday, all 12 applicants were produced in court.

Advertisement

Olajengbesi, counsel to the applicants, asked the court to admit his clients to bail.

“There is no need to continue to keep them with the respondents,” he said.

Opposing the bail application, David Awo, DSS counsel, said he was not opposed to bail for the 3rd, 4th, 7th, 8th, 9th and 11th applicants.

He however told the court that the remaining four applicants (2nd, 12, 5th and 6th) were still being investigated.

Advertisement

He said the DSS is not opposed to the release of the eight applicants because “their involvement in the offence of arms stockpiling and other criminal activities are minimal”.

“But for the other applicants, we strongly oppose bail,” he said.

“Investigation so far has revealed a high level of complicity on their path. As it is, the respondent is still conducting an investigation in this matter.

“We believe it is in the interest of justice and it will not serve the purpose of national security if these applicants are granted bail.

Advertisement

“If granted bail, they will not make themselves available for investigation and further prosecution.

”There is credible information on how family members, friends and associates of these four applicants are making contact with potential witnesses identified by the service. They are pressuring some of them not to show up.”

He said the DSS also has plans to renew the order of remand granted by another court which elapsed on Monday.

The judge stood down the matter for ruling.

Advertisement

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

There are no comments at the moment, do you want to add one?

Write a comment

Write a Comment