Ramatu Aliyu, minister of state for the federal capital territory (FCT), says the death toll from the cholera outbreak in the territory has risen to 60.
TheCable had earlier reported that 54 persons had died from cholera in FCT as of Saturday.
Speaking during a sensitisation exercise in Pyakasa and Gwagwa communities on Thursday, Aliyu, who was represented by Iwot Ndaeyo, acting executive secretary of FCT primary health care board, said six more persons have died from the disease.
According to NAN, she said suspected cases of cholera in the territory rose from 604 to 698 within 72 hours.
“Abuja Municipal Area Council (AMAC) recorded 281 suspected cases with 22 deaths and Bwari Area Council recorded 134 suspected cases with 22 deaths,” Ndaeyo said.
“In Gwagwalada area council, 220 suspected cases with nine deaths were recorded, Kuje area council had 23 suspected cases with four deaths and Kwali area council recorded 37 suspected cases with three deaths.”
She said Abaji area council also recorded three suspected cases with no death.
Aliyu said the outbreak is “unacceptable in the FCT”, adding that “the administration would not fold its hands and watch residents die helplessly over preventable diseases. We must take every necessary steps to curb further spread”.
She encouraged FCT residents and critical stakeholders to publicise the message of cholera prevention, proper sanitation with the practice of hand hygiene in their respective communities.
The FCT is not alone in its fight against cholera as several states across the country including Bauchi, Kano, Niger, Zamfara, Kaduna, and Plateau are battling the disease.
The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has said a multi-sectorial national emergency operations centre has been supporting states to ensure a coordinated, rapid and effective response to the current outbreak.