Former US President Donald Trump has announced his bid for the White House in 2024.
Trump’s announcement comes as some Republican party members hold him responsible for the underwhelming performance of the party in last week’s midterm elections.
Speaking to a crowd at his Florida estate on Tuesday night, the 76-year-old politician said his bid for presidency was what America needed as a comeback from decline.
“America’s comeback starts right now,” he said.
“We are a nation in decline. For millions of Americans, the past two years under Joe Biden have been a time of pain, hardship, anxiety and despair. We have to save our country.”
During Trump’s time at the White House, he was the first US president to be impeached twice, and his harsh rhetorics, which many public figures often heavily criticised, polarised the country.
Currently, he is a target of multiple investigations into his conduct before, during and after his first term as president.
These include allegations of fraud by his family business, his role in last year’s attack on the US Capitol, his attempt to overturn the 2020 elections, and the stashing of classified documents at his residence at Mar-a-Lago.
Many observers, including some Republicans, have questioned whether the former president is the right candidate for the party.
Trump’s announcement puts him, once again, against President Joe Biden, who said he may run for re-election in 2024.