Tuesday, October 4, 2022
MARKET UPDATE
Advertisement

TheCable

Advertisement
Cable Ads

Ekweremadu ‘kidney donor’ confessed to UK police that he lied, says Olisa Metuh

Ekweremadu ‘kidney donor’ confessed to UK police that he lied, says Olisa Metuh
July 07
17:57 2022

Olisa Metuh, a former spokesman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), says David Ukpo, the Nigerian at the centre of the alleged organ harvesting case involving Ike Ekweremadu, has “recanted”.

Ekweremadu, a former deputy president of the senate, and Beatrice, his wife, are facing charges bordering on conspiracy to arrange/facilitate the travel of another person with a view to exploitation, namely organ harvesting.

Last month, the couple was arrested by the London Metropolitan Police for bringing a child to the UK for alleged organ harvesting.

However, according to the Ekweremadus, Ukpo was in the UK as a kidney donor for Sonia, the lawmaker’s daughter.

Advertisement

The alleged kidney donor had also claimed to be a “minor”.

The UK authorities had, thereafter, charged the senator and his wife to court.

In a ruling on Thursday, a Westminster magistrates court in the UK held that Ukpo is not a minor, after which the judge adjourned the case till August 4.

Advertisement

Speaking on the case in an interview with ARISE TV, Metuh said Ukpo “recanted”, and told the police that he was not under 21.

“The most important thing that we witnessed today is that the so-called minor recanted, and of his own free will, went to the police again and confessed that he’s not under 21; that means he’s not a minor,” Metuh said.

“And because of that, the judge struck out section 45, so everything about the case can be open, since a minor is no more involved.”

Section 45 of the Youth Justice and Criminal Evidence Act 1999 in the UK makes provisions for restrictions when reporting about “victims, witnesses and defendants under the age of 18 who appear in magistrates’ courts and the Crown Court”.

Advertisement

Meanwhile, Metuh also expressed excitement over the judgment, adding that the defence counsel informed the court that “there was no exploitation that was involved” in the case.

“We knew that the guy is more than 21 years and he’s going to be 22. We’ve always known that, but for him to have said that, it’s a good thing. So, we are happy about it,” the former PDP spokesman said.

“More importantly is the fact that the defence counsel had gotten up and said there was no exploitation that was involved. There was nothing at all. It is important that he stated that in court and Ike and his wife pleaded not guilty to all the charges.”

Advertisement


This story is published in partnership with Report for the World, a global service program that supports local public interest journalism.

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

There are no comments at the moment, do you want to add one?

Write a comment

Write a Comment