Tuesday, September 4, 2018
Advertisement

Finally, Fashola slashes LASU fees by 34 per cent

Finally, Fashola slashes LASU fees by 34 per cent
June 11
18:59 2014
Advertisement

Governor of Lagos State, Babatunde Fashola, has approved a 34 per cent reduction in the tuition fees of students of the Lagos State University (LASU).

This followed a report submitted by the ad hoc committee he set up to review the fees.

After deliberations on the report of the committee, the state executive council met on Wednesday and issued a communiqué stating the resolutions on the issue.

Governor Fashola commended the use of dialogue, which he said should be adopted in resolving disputes within the university community rather than violent protests.

In welcoming the submissions, the governor noted that a reduction ranging from 34 per cent to 60 per cent across the different faculties and courses is possible. He therefore mandated the university governing council to implement it.

He disclosed that the LASU budget for recurrent and capital expenditure of about N10 billion for 2014 is partially funded from tuition fees, which amounts to only 10 per cent, while government provides the remaining 90 per cent in addition to further subsidisation of fees by the provision of scholarships, bursaries and research grants.

Fashola promised to increase government spending on infrastructure and physical development of the campus, saying it will enhance the stature of the State University as a leading institution of higher learning in Nigeria.

He therefore urged staff and students of the university to immediately terminate their industrial action.

Students of the university relentlessly protested the fee hike, despite the arraignment of eight of them in court for “disturbing public peace”.

 

RECEIVE ALERTS FROM THECABLE

BBM CHANNEL C0038F78B
WHATSAPP 08113975334
TWITTER @thecableng
Copyright 2018 TheCable. All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from TheCable.
Tags
Advertisement

Social Comments

2 Comments

  1. Advanze
    Advanze June 12, 10:23

    Thank you Governor Fashola for decrease in the school fee of the LASU students.

    Reply to this comment
  2. ADE
    ADE June 12, 17:35

    Governor Fashola is always my man Friday. He is ever listening. Downward review in fee by 34% is quite commendable, but in my candid opinion University education shouldn’t be too cheap. Other states contemplating rise in fee should weigh the implication side by side what the students are getting in return. The indigent but exceptionally brilliant students should be offered scholarship while those that have money but not too brilliant should be made to pay the fee so that they would appreciate the worth in the long run. Am I really speaking your mind?

    Reply to this comment

Write a Comment

Your email address will not be published.
Required fields are marked *

*

Advertisement
Advertisement
NOTE: The black market rates represent the most prevalent. They could be slightly higher or lower among different sellers.
Advertisement

Exchange Rates

September 03, 2018USDGBPEUR
INTERBANK360.45480.18420.32
LAGOS360485425
KANO361483423
PH362482423
ABUJA362481423
Advertisement
Advertisement