Sunday, February 5, 2023
MARKET UPDATE
Advertisement

TheCable

Advertisement
Cable Ads

Gombe shuts down schools after B’Haram attack

Gombe shuts down schools after B’Haram attack
November 05
13:28 2014

The Gombe state government has ordered the closure of all public and private schools in the state, following Tuesday’s attack by suspected Boko Haram members on two towns in the state.

Parents who took their children to school on Wednesday were told to return them home, as the schools had been closed on the orders of the government.

Edith Williams, headmistress, Bethany International College, Gombe told NAN that she received a circular on Tuesday evening that all schools should be closed down for security reasons.

Some parents commended the state government for the action, saying it was necessary to safeguard the students.

Advertisement

One of the parents, Hannatu Musa, said she was happy with the development, as it would help to secure the children.

The commissioner and permanent secretary of the ministry for education were unavailable for comment, but Sani Jauro, government house permanent secretary, confirmed it.

However, he said that the closure of the schools had nothing to do with security threats to the state but a “normal mid-term break for students”.

Advertisement

On Tuesday, gunmen attacked Nafada and Ashaka, over 130 kilometres from Gombe, barely a week after suspected terrorists exploded a bomb at a motor park in the state capital, killing more than 30 people.

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

There are no comments at the moment, do you want to add one?

Write a comment

Write a Comment