Advertisement
Advertisement

Gunmen kill three immigration officers at Kebbi checkpoint

Report: Nigerians paid N2.57bn ransom to kidnappers in one year | 4,722 abductions recorded Report: Nigerians paid N2.57bn ransom to kidnappers in one year | 4,722 abductions recorded

The Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) says gunmen killed three of its officers in a coordinated attack at the Bakin Ruwa checkpoint in Kebbi.

Kemi Nandap, NIS comptroller-general, confirmed the attack in a statement issued by A.S. Akinlabi, service public relations officer, on Saturday.

According to the statement, the incident happened on Thursday night under the Tuga border patrol formation in the state.

The NIS noted that the attackers also destroyed several of its operational assets and facilities at the location.

Advertisement

“The Service extends its heartfelt condolences and unwavering support to the families, colleagues, and loved ones of the fallen personnel, honouring their selfless sacrifice and commitment to safeguarding Nigeria’s borders,” the statement reads.

Nandap said an immediate tactical response had been ordered, with reinforcements deployed to the affected formation.

She added that the service had intensified joint operations with other security agencies, enhanced intelligence-gathering along the entire Tuga axis, and increased patrols to prevent further threats and restore full security control of the area.

Advertisement

The CG noted that the NIS remains resolute in its mandate to secure the nation’s borders and would not be deterred by acts of criminality.

She urged the public to remain calm and continue to cooperate with security agencies.

error: Content is protected from copying.