Bola Tinubu, former governor of Lagos state, has denied any involvement in the #EndSARS protests
Speaking during a Channels TV programme on Wednesday, the national leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC) said some persons lied to the presidency that he is behind the protests.
He also condemned security operatives for firing live bullets at protesters in Lekki.
TheCable had reported how persons dressed in army uniform opened fire at the tollgate where protesters have been converging to kick against police brutality.
The soldiers had asked the protesters to leave the venue around 7pm, two hours before the curfew imposed by Babajide Sanwo-Olu, governor of Lagos, was to start.
Earlier, persons said to be officials of the Lekki Concession Company, the firm managing the toll gate, removed the security cameras in the area.
In videos of the clampdown — which was streamed live — protesters were seen scampering for safety amid sporadic gunshots from soldiers.
Speaking via phone during the television programme, Tinubu also denied having any investment in the Lekki Concession Company, saying: “I have no dime, no kobo investment in the toll gate.”
“I will never, never be part of any carnage. I will never be part of that. Why will they use live bullets?
“Before now, I was being accused and reported to the Presidency that I was behind the protests, that I was a sponsor of the protests.”
Earlier on Tuesday, the former governor had cautioned protesters against giving the impression that they wanted to cause anarchy, saying that “any government will necessarily have to act with the requisite decisiveness and force to restore law and order” if that happens to be the case.
Sanwo-Olu had blamed the attack on the protesters on “forces beyond my control”.