Tuesday, February 7, 2023
MARKET UPDATE
Advertisement

TheCable

Advertisement
Cable Ads

Imo attacks: Commissioner accuses Ihedioha of complicity, says he must apologise

Imo attacks: Commissioner accuses Ihedioha of complicity, says he must apologise
October 17
23:30 2022

The Imo government has accused Emeka Ihedioha, former governor, of “exacerbating” insecurity in the state.

Declan Emelumba, Imo commissioner of information, spoke on Monday when he featured on NewDay, a programme on ARISE Television.

Emelumba was reacting to a viral phone conversation allegedly made by Ihedioha where he said “there will be no peace in Imo state” until he takes back power.

“They can continue to be in the government house. They will not succeed in doing anything so long I am there,” the voice in the phone conversation said.

Advertisement

Ihedioha, a chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), was governor of Imo between May 2019 and January 2020.

He was sacked by the supreme court, and Hope Uzodimma of the All Progressives Congress (APC) was declared the winner of the 2019 governorship election.

In recent months, residents, security operatives and public infrastructure have been targeted by gunmen in the state. 

Advertisement

The government had accused politicians of being sponsors of the gunmen targeting residents in the state. 

In January, the government said Rochas Okorocha, senator representing Imo west, and Uche Nwosu, former governorship candidate of the Action Alliance (AA), were named by suspects as sponsors of kidnapping and banditry in the state. 

Speaking on Monday, Emelumba said Ihedioha should apologise for “exacerbating” insecurity in the state, adding that if he doesn’t, “facts and details” of the phone conversation will be published.

“I want to challenge right honourable Emeka Ihedioha to come out and be a gentleman, and admit he made the call,” he said.

Advertisement

“I can tell you he made the call on Friday, October 14, 2022, between 9:30pm and 10:05pm, and the person he made the call with is somebody who deals in interior decoration from Ezinihitte Mbaise.

“So, he knows that he made the call and if he doesn’t come out as a gentleman and admit and apologise for exacerbating the insecurity situation in Imo state, we will be forced to publish the facts and details.”

Meanwhile, Ihedioha had earlier denied making the phone call.

In a statement issued on Sunday, Ihedioha said the Imo government wants to “drag me out by an orchestrated campaign of lies”.

Advertisement

“And those carrying out this campaign of calumny against my person are doing so at the behest of the same man who was imposed on Imo state,” he said.

In doing this, there are no off-limits. They have forged documents, concocted voice messages, perjured and maximised social media in throwing mud to see if anyone sticks.”

Advertisement

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

There are no comments at the moment, do you want to add one?

Write a comment

Write a Comment