The United Nations has temporarily suspended humanitarian operations in Dikwa and Damasak in Borno state following Boko Haram attacks in those areas.
Edward Kallon, UN resident and humanitarian coordinator in Nigeria, disclosed this via a statement on Saturday.
He said the organisation’s operations in the two areas were being put on hold in order to safely relocate the humanitarian staff to other locations.
The UN coordinator said: “I am deeply concerned about the recent attacks on humanitarian operations in Dikwa and Damasak, affecting humanitarian assets and personnel.
“We have temporarily suspended operations in these areas in order to safely relocate humanitarian staff and are closely monitoring the situation. We intend to resume operations as soon as possible, so that civilians affected by the conflict continue to receive the assistance they need.
“I condemn in the strongest terms attacks on civilians and civilian infrastructure which may constitute violations on International Humanitarian Law.”
In recent weeks, there has been a renewed onslaught by Boko Haram in communities in Borno state, where the insurgency has been raging for a decade.
TheCable had reported how the insurgents attacked Damasak in Mobbar LGA on Wednesday, displacing hundreds of residents who fled to the neighbouring Niger Republic.
Earlier in March, they had attacked Dikwa in Dikwa LGA, overrunning the humanitarian hub and destroying government facilities.