Friday, August 12, 2022
MARKET UPDATE
Advertisement

TheCable

Omotosho: No directive to demolish two remaining Ikoyi structures

Omotosho: No directive to demolish two remaining Ikoyi structures
November 10
22:58 2021

Gbenga Omotoso, Lagos commissioner for information and strategy, says the state has not ordered the demolition of the remaining two structures at the site of the building that collapsed in Ikoyi.

Last week, a 21-storey building located in Gerrard road in Ikoyi collapsed, with over 40 bodies recovered so far.

Babajide Sanwo-Olu, governor of Lagos, had inaugurated a tribunal to probe the collapse of the storey building.

In a statement on Wednesday, Omotosho said an integrity test is yet to be conducted on the two buildings and therefore, it is wrong to speculate that the buildings will be demolished.

Advertisement

“The Panel of Inquiry instituted into the collapse of the building has continued to sit, and an integrity test is yet to be conducted on the two buildings. It is, therefore, wrong to assert or speculate that the buildings will be demolished,” he said.

“The operation at the site of the collapsed building continues. Vehicular movement around the site has been smooth, following the reopening of the road.

“Two more bodies were recovered from the site today. The recovery of the two bodies has brought to 45 the number of bodies retrieved from the site.

Advertisement

“The identification of bodies of the victims of the incident has continued at IDH, Yaba, Lagos Mainland. Thirty-two families have come forward to submit samples for DNA to identify bodies that they wish to claim. In cases where identification is clear and there are no arguments, the bodies will be released to the families.”

He added that a committee comprising senior officials of the ministries of health and justice has started working on identification and release of the bodies.

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

There are no comments at the moment, do you want to add one?

Write a comment

Write a Comment