Death is something inevitable. When a man has done what he considers to be his duty to his people and his country, he can rest in peace. I believe I have made that effort and that is, therefore, why I will sleep for the eternity- Mandela
On this day, in 1918, Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela, the man who would change the story of the black race, was born.
Mandela, anti-apartheid activist and South African legend, would have been a centenarian, but he bade farewell to life five years ago, leaving the world to celebrate his 100th birthday posthumously.
Mandela came, saw, and conquered until his death on December 5, 2013, aged 95.
South Africa, the black race, and indeed, the world at large, have this man to thank for, for his enduring battle against black stigmatisation.
Madiba, as he was fondly called by his clan name, was not just an activist, he was a leader, a fighter an orator who birthed many expressions that would remain indelible in the memory of many for as long as time.
Below are 10 memorable quotes by Mandela
- It always seems impossible until it’s done.
- As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I didn’t leave my bitterness and hatred behind, I’d still be in prison.
- I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.
- No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.Sometimes, it falls upon a generation to be great. You can be that great generation. Let your greatness blossom.
- A good head and good heart are always a formidable combination.
- For to be free is not merely to cast off one’s chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.
- Do not judge me by my success, judge me by how many times I fell down and got back up again.
- And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
- I never lose. I either win or learn.
- Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.