Categories: Inside NigeriaOn the GoTop Stories

Scarcity looms as south-west marketers ‘stop lifting fuel’

The south-west zone of the Independent Petroleum Marketers Association of Nigeria (IPMAN) says some of its members have stopped lifting fuel because the official pump price of N145 per litre is “no longer sustainable”.

According to PUNCH, the marketers stopped dispensing fuel last week and have also not lifted new product “because they are no longer breaking even”.

Debo Ahmed, IPMAN chairman in the south-west, said 90 percent of its members can no longer continue with the business.

He advised the federal government to deregulate the petroleum sector so that marketers could buy and sell the product at a price that will be fair to everyone.

“The result of this is that about 90 percent of our members who can no longer continue with the business, have already stopped lifting fuel while the remaining 10 percent have threatened to also close down their stations if nothing is done to remedy the situation this (last) week.

“Unfortunately we cannot sell above the pump price of N145 per litre in the south-west if we don’t want to incur the wrath of the Department of Petroleum Resources. Our colleagues in the north, south-east and south-south are running their own businesses because they are selling above the pump price.”

Not less than 3,000 fuel dealers are under the south-west IPMAN.

Lagos, Ondo, Oyo, Osun, Ogun, Ondo are the south-west states that would be affected by the scarcity that could arise from the marketers’ decision.

Recent Posts

  • On the Go
  • The Nation

Amnesty asks FG to probe killings during Shi’ites protest

Amnesty International says the shootings of members of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria (IMN), also known as the Shi'ites, by…

2 hours ago
  • On the Go
  • Top Stories

Armed Miyetti Allah vigilante group now operating in Ondo

Kayode Ajulo, human rights lawyer, says the Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria have set up a vigilante group…

2 hours ago
  • On the Go
  • The Nation

Report: Five police officers killed during Shi’ites protest

Five officers were killed during the clash between members of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria (IMN) and the  police in…

2 hours ago
  • Inside Nigeria
  • On the Go
  • Zamfara

Zamfara gov: So far, over 200 abducted persons have been released

Bello Matawallen, governor of Zamfara state, says not less than 200 abducted persons in the state have been released through…

3 hours ago
  • On the Go
  • The Nation

‘He was a complete gentlemen’ — tributes pour in for DCP killed in Shi’ites protest

Tributes are pouring in for Usman Umar, deputy commissioner of police (DCP) in charge of operations in the federal capital…

4 hours ago
  • On the Go
  • Top Stories

Channels TV reporter shot during Shi’ites protest is dead

The Channels Television reporter shot at the scene of the clash between members of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria (IMN),…

4 hours ago