Victoria Mba, a resident of Cross River, has accused security operatives attached to the residence of Bassey Otu, governor of the state, of killing her 21-year-old son, Moses Mba.
Mba told NAN on Saturday that her son was beaten and shot in front of the Cross River governor’s residence.
The mother said on August 1, the deceased went to the governor’s residence and insisted on seeing Otu to deliver what he described as a message from God.
She alleged that her son was resisted, beaten, and shot by security operatives attached to the governor over his insistence on seeing Otu.
Advertisement
Mba said her son died at the Naval Reference Hospital, Calabar, from injuries sustained from the gunshot.
“We (my husband and I) were away in Abia when the incident occurred. On our return, we got a call from an official of the Red Cross Society that rushed him to the hospital,” she said.
“When we arrived at the hospital, we asked our son what happened. He (the deceased) told us that he only requested to see the governor because he had a message for him from God.
Advertisement
“I am not making excuses for him. My son had always loved God’s work since age 10 and often spoke of visions.
“We only pleaded with him to complete his education before going fully into God’s work.”
The mother alleged that during the period her son was in the hospital, security operatives from the governor’s office were around the hospital to monitor the situation.
“They wore plain clothes and rotated duties morning, afternoon, and night,” she said.
Advertisement
“One aide to the governor’s chief of staff, by name Emmanuel Dickson, was in touch with us and also visited the hospital.
“The security operatives demanded copies of all the receipts for his treatments, even though the Red Cross footed the bills.
“When my son died on Saturday, August 9, I called the same Dickson to inform him that the mortuary bill was N54,000 plus, but he only sent N50,000.
“It is the same person and others who are now threatening us, saying there is nothing we can do, even if we cry to high heaven, since the governor is involved.”
Advertisement
Mba said the family has not been allowed to take the deceased’s body for burial.
‘INCIDENT HAPPENED AT OTU’S FORMER HOUSE, NOT OFFICIAL RESIDENCE’
Advertisement
Erasmus Ekpang, Cross River commissioner of information, told NAN that the location visited by the deceased is Otu’s “former house” and not his official residence.
Ekpang alleged that the deceased had mental challenges, adding that he threw stones at the police officer attached to the residence..
Advertisement
“Firstly, the house is not where the governor presently resides, and secondly, only one security officer was at the premises when the boy visited,” the commissioner said.
“There is video evidence showing the boy throwing large stones at the policeman.
Advertisement
“He was not mentally okay and, at a point, even apologised for throwing the stones.
“In spite of this, we strongly condemn the beating and shooting of the boy.
“It is not something anyone should be happy about, no matter the circumstances.”
NAN reports that the Cross River commissioner of police said the case had been forwarded to the director of public prosecutions (DPP) for legal advice.