Kayode Fayemi, governorship aspirant of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Ekiti, says there is no truth to the allegation that he threatened to cripple the state if he is not given the ticket of the party for the July 14 gubernatorial election.
The Ekiti Rebirth Organisation (ERO), a group loyal Babafemi Ojudu, another aspirant, had accused Fayemi of making the threat.
“He is the aspirant that has been avoiding democratic test of popularity. Clearly, if there is anyone desperate, that person is Dr. Kayode Fayemi,” the group had said.
“Fayemi came late into this very contest to realise that the boat has left the shore. He is now looking for any straw to hang unto. He was shocked to realise that his much-advertised hold on the state executive was a fluke.”
Reacting through Yinka Oyebode, his spokesman, Fayemi described the allegation as “a lie from the pit of hell.”
“The pertinent question to ask the ERO group is where exactly did the minister, Dr Kayode Fayemi make the statement,” Oyebode told TheCable.
“The ERO group is known for their maniacal penchant for fabricating falsehood in the name of propaganda.
“Dr Fayemi never said a thing like that. And if you know his antecedent as a political activist who believes in the rule of law, you will agree with me that the minister is too refined to make such a statement. ERO and its leader, Senator Babafemi Ojudu, are best described as mischief makers. And judging from their actions and utterances so far, you know they are the ones planning to shoot down the state, through their desperation.
“As a matter of fact, the disruption of the primary election was masterminded by the ERO people. For Dr Fayemi, the contest is not a do or die affair. He is a law-abiding citizen and leader of the party who believes in due process.
“The minister believes that having worked with and led the party in the last eight years (remember as governor he was the leader of the party from 2010- 2014 and as minister and the highest public office holder he’s been leading the party in the state since 2014 till date).
“The minister has said it many times that he is prepared to work with whoever emerges as winner in the contest to ensure that the PDP-led government in the state is dislodged.”