Yolande Makolo
Rwanda says it received seven migrants deported from the United States earlier this month.
Yolande Makolo, spokesperson for the Rwandan presidency, confirmed the development in a statement on Thursday.
Both countries reached an agreement for the transfer of up to 250 people in July nearly two months after the East African nation said it was considering housing the deported asylum seekers.
“The first group of seven vetted migrants arrived in Rwanda in mid-August,” Makolo said.
Advertisement
“Three of the individuals have expressed a desire to return to their home countries, while four wish to stay and build lives in Rwanda.
“Regardless of their specific needs, all of these individuals will receive appropriate support and protection from the Rwandan government.”
In recent years, Rwanda has positioned itself as a country willing to receive migrants that Western nations want to deport.
Advertisement
Rights groups, however, warn that Kigali’s human rights record remains deeply troubling.
Last year, a deal with the United Kingdom went sour after Prime Minister Keir Starmer buried the plan shortly after assuming office.
The UK government had already paid £220 million to Rwanda under the arrangement.
When the UK government mused about recouping the funds, Rwanda said it fully upheld its side of the agreement and was under no obligation to make refunds.
Advertisement
In Thursday’s statement, Makolo explained that the deportees were accompanied by an international organization on arrival.
She added that they are currently receiving support from the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) and Rwandan social services.