Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo, minister of interior, says the single travel emergency passport (STEP) will be launched in January 2026.
Tunji-Ojo spoke on Friday in Abuja during the launch of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) biometric ID card.
Earlier this month, Kemi Nandap, comptroller-general of the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS), announced that the STEP would replace the emergency travel certificate (ETC).
An ETC is a one-way travel document for Nigerian citizens abroad who have lost their passports or are stranded, allowing them to return to the country.
Advertisement
Nandap said STEP would be an improved measure for stranded Nigerians abroad to return home in a secure and verifiable manner.
At the time, the NIS CG did not mention when the new single-use passport would be launched.
The interior minister disclosed more details about the ID while speaking about the ministry’s recent reforms.
Advertisement
“This initiative will enable Nigerians abroad who lose their passports to generate an emergency travel document using any mobile device without visiting an embassy,” Tunji-Ojo said.
The minister urged Nigerians to trust the government’s capacity to tackle national challenges and called for collective support for ongoing security reforms.
The STEP is only valid for a single entry.
According to the NIS, the ID is part of wider reforms to strengthen border governance, enhance identity management, and align its operations with international migration standards.
Advertisement