MARKET UPDATE
Advertisement

TheCable

Six pilgrims injured as Saudi security foils attack in Mecca

Six pilgrims injured as Saudi security foils attack in Mecca
June 24
14:19 2017

The Saudi interior ministry says it has arrested five people who planned to attack the Grand Mosque in Mecca.

Mansour al-Turki, security spokesperson of the ministry, said operatives stopped a plot to attack the mosque on Friday.

Quoting security operatives, Al Arabiya, Saudi-owned news website, said the operation was planned by three extremist groups, two based in Mecca and the third in Jedah.

“The first operation was foiled in Mecca in Assila district, while the second was thwarted in Ajyad al-Masafi neighborhood,” Al-Arabiya wrote in its report.

Advertisement

In a statement, the interior minister said the “terrorists obeyed their evil and corrupt self-serving scheme to destabilise the security of the country”.

“A suicide bomber, who was hiding in a house in the Ajyad neighborhood, blew himself up after opening fire on security forces and refusing to comply with calls to turn himself in,” the report read.

“Unfortunately he started shooting towards security personnel once he noticed their presence in the area, which led to an exchange of fire before he blew himself up.”

Advertisement

Turki said the blast partially collapsed the building where the attacker had taken refuge, injuring six pilgrims

He added that four had already been released from the hospital and five security men were also injured.

Every year, people of various nationalities gather to observe the holy pilgrimage in Mecca.

Advertisement

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

There are no comments at the moment, do you want to add one?

Write a comment

Write a Comment