Third mainland bridge to be closed after Eid-el-Kabir

The Lagos state government says the third mainland bridge will be shut down for four days.

Ade Akinsanya, Lagos commissioner for works and infrastructure, said the closure will begin from August 23 to 26 for investigative maintenance test to be carried out.

The bridge will be closed a day after 2018 Eid-el-Kabir celebration.

Sina Thorpe, deputy director, public affairs division of the works ministry, released a statement to the effect on Sunday.

He said the decision was taken after due consultation with Babatunde Fashola, the federal ministry of power, works and housing.

Akinsanya said the contractors will, during the four-day closure, assess the true state of the bridge after which works will commence by the end of 2018 or early 2019.

The commissioner said: “The 3rd mainland bridge which was opened about 30 years ago by the then military government has had haphazard maintenance and repairs in the past which the present federal government is committed to correct by carrying out proper and continuous maintenance and repairs on it.”

The federal government had earlier announced plans to shut the bridge in July but postponed the action after consulting with the state government and other stakeholders.

The Lagos government urged motorists and residents to minimise non-essential travel and movements during the four-day closure.