Advertisement
Advertisement

Two years later, Kenyan authorities dig up 32 more bodies linked to starvation cult

bodies recovered from Kenyan starvation cult bodies recovered from Kenyan starvation cult
Photo Credit: Reuters

At least 32 bodies have been exhumed in Kenya this week linked to the same Christian sect blamed for mass deaths in 2023.

Authorities said the bodies were discovered in Kwa Binzaro, about 30 kilometres from Shakahola, where more than 400 people were previously confirmed dead in what became one of the worst cult-related tragedies in recent history.

The remains were unearthed following a renewed probe in July, launched after the disappearance of several children.

Officials said on Friday that more bodies could still be found, as those identified so far were not from the immediate area.

Advertisement

The discoveries have revived memories of the Shakahola deaths, in which followers of Paul Mackenzie, founder of the Good News International Church, were accused of starving themselves to death in the belief it would hasten their meeting with Jesus. Mackenzie has denied ordering the mass fast.

The tragedy drew comparisons to some of the world’s worst cult-related mass deaths, including the 1978 Jonestown massacre in Guyana, where more than 900 people died after being ordered by cult leader Jim Jones to drink cyanide-laced grape drink.

The latest exhumations appear to confirm government fears raised earlier this year that Mackenzie’s cult may still be active.

Advertisement

President William Ruto’s administration has pledged to tighten oversight of religious organisations and enhance community-based surveillance to prevent a recurrence.

error: Content is protected from copying.