Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Liverpool walking away from title after dramatic 3-3 draw

Liverpool walking away from title after dramatic 3-3 draw
May 06
11:29 2014

Liverpool squandered a three-goal lead and potentially the Premier League title, as Crystal Palace produced a superb second half performance to hold Brendan Rodgers’ side to a 3-3 draw at Selhurst Park.

Glen Johnson was denied a penalty after the otherwise-sprightly Yannick Bolasie appeared to kick the defender in the thigh, before Johnson wasted a glorious opportunity to put the visitors ahead when heading Allen’s lofted pass onto the roof of the net.

Daniel Sturridge saw a deflected effort curl for a corner, from which Liverpool went ahead in the 18th minute. Steven Gerrard whipped the ball in and Allen, left unmarked by Joe Ledley at the far post, headed past Julian Speroni for his first league goal.

Suarez curled a free-kick around the post from 30 yards, before Mile Jedinak stung the hands of Simon Mignolet with a 25-yard scorcher. Newly crowned Footballer of the Year Suarez was again thwarted by Speroni soon after, albeit from a tight angle.

Suarez was booked minutes after the interval for protesting referee Mark Clattenburg’s refusal to award a penalty, before Speroni magnificently tipped Sturridge’s curling effort onto the post, while his Uruguayan strike partner blasted the rebound over when it seemed easier to score.

However, two goals in two minutes looked to have put the tie beyond doubt; first, Sturridge’s deflected shot trickled past a helpless Speroni, before Suarez finished an intricate one-two with Raheem Sterling to seal victory.

Sterling should have made it four when Sturridge squared the ball to him, but the youngster’s close-range effort was well-blocked by Scott Dann.

Then it was Palace’s turn for two goals in two minutes. Damien Delaney rifled a shot from 25 yards, which hit the roof of the net, following a slim deflection off Johnson. Then, Bolasie finished a superb run down the left flank by sliding the ball on a plate for Dwight Gayle to side-foot into the net.

Gayle completed the dramatic comeback in the 88th minute, when he collected Glen Murray’s knockdown and toed the ball past Mignolet to effectively end Liverpool’s title hopes.


WHATSAPP 08113975334
TWITTER @thecableng
Copyright 2019 TheCable. All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from TheCable.

Social Comments


No Comments Yet!

Let me tell You a sad story ! There are no comments yet, but You can be first one to comment this article.

Write a comment

Write a Comment

Your email address will not be published.
Required fields are marked *



Exchange Rates

June 17, 2019USDGBPEUR
NOTE: The black market rates represent the most prevalent. They could be slightly higher or lower among different sellers.