Advertisement
On the Go

Yaba building collapse: Lagos to prosecute developer for ‘defying stop-work order’

BY TheCable

Share

The Lagos state government says the developer of the three-storey building that collapsed in Onike area of Yaba, Lagos state, will be prosecuted.

Five bodies have been recovered while two others were rescued following the collapse of the building on Saturday afternoon.

An earlier statement by the ministry of physical planning and urban development had indicated that the developer — who is yet to be named — has been arrested.

According to the ministry, the developer returned to the site despite a stop-work order on the structure.

Advertisement

“Salako stated that preliminary findings indicated that the site had been sealed off twice by the Lagos State Building Control Agency in 2021 for non-compliance with building regulations after which the site was abandoned,” the earlier statement reads.

“However, the developer later broke government seal, sneaked into the site and re-commenced construction without official authorisation.

“The developer in charge of the site has since been arrested and handed over to the RRS Team.”

Advertisement
According to a statement issued on Sunday, the state government said it had directed that the developer of the building be prosecuted.

“The Government regrets the needless loss of lives and property due to his unlawful conduct and antics of defying stop-work orders as well as evading supervision,” Idris Salako, Lagos commissioner for physical planning and urban development, was quoted as saying.

“It is hoped that his prosecution will send a strong warning to all recalcitrant developers that it is mandatory to build right and engage professionals in constructing buildings in Lagos State, as we will not hesitate to bring to book whoever errs against the law.”

The state also said “excavation of the site by emergency responders” will continue “until the site is levelled to ground zero”.

Advertisement

This website uses cookies.