Advertisement

22-year-old bride and only child killed in Anambra ‘sit-at-home’ attack

A 22-year-old newlywed bride was among the casualties of the attacks by gunmen in Anambra communities.

On Monday, gunmen invaded Nnewichi community in Nnewi north LGA and Nnobi community in Idemili south LGA of the state, shooting sporadically and destroying properties.

The attackers were said to be enforcing a sit-at-home order in the south-east region.

Tochukwu Ikenga, Anambra police spokesperson, confirmed that the 22-year-old lady was among the three victims of the attack.

Advertisement

According to reports, the victim was also the only child of her parents.

A family source told Punch that she had her traditional marriage only a week ago and was waiting for her husband who lives abroad to return before she was hit by stray bullets.

“It was a heartbreaking incident and a heavy blow on the family yesterday (Monday). Her mum sent her to their farm to bring vegetables for the preparation of their food. On her way back home, she was hit by stray bullets during the gunfire between security officials and those dare-devil criminals,” Punch quoted the source as saying.

Advertisement

Ikenga said doctors declared the lady, and two other victims, dead after police operatives took them to the hospital.

“Two others are currently receiving treatment,” the state police spokesperson said.

So far, no arrest has been announced.

Ikenga said Nnaghe Itam, the state commissioner of police, has ordered an immediate manhunt of the gunmen.

Advertisement
Add a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

error: Content is protected from copying.