Advertisement

Air force speaks on investigation into airstrike on Yobe village

fighter jets fighter jets

The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) says it is still investigating the “accidental” airstrike that hit Buhari village in Yunusari LGA of Yobe state.

On September 16, a military jet said to have been targeting members of the Islamic State in West African Province (ISWAP) accidentally hit the village, killing nine people and injuring 24.

Subsequently, Edward Gabkwet, NAF’s director of public relations and information, said a board of inquiry had been set up to “thoroughly” investigate the circumstances of the incident.

During a meeting with journalists on Wednesday, Oladayo Amao, the chief of air staff, said the probe is still ongoing, adding that it is a “painstaking process”.

Advertisement

Amao, who was represented by Daniel Gwani, an air vice-marshal, said the air force is working hand-in-hand with the Yobe state government.

“All I can tell you for now is that the investigation is ongoing, it is a very painstaking process,” he said.

“We are in constant communication with the Yobe state government and the moment the investigation is completed, I’m sure Nigerians will be told the outcome.”

Advertisement

Residents of the affected community who spoke with TheCable had debunked the NAF’s claim that there were insurgents in the village.

The residents said they had not experienced any attack from insurgent groups in the past three months.

Meanwhile, Haruna Musa, a resident who lost two of his brothers in the incident, said Dauda Busari, the chairman of the LGA, and Musa Dambari, the lawmaker representing his constituency, gave the injured victims and families of the deceased N10,000 each as compensation.

Advertisement
Add a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

error: Content is protected from copying.