The Nigerian army has denied reports that some soldiers got missing following an ambush on troops fighting insurgency in Borno state.
NAN reported on Monday that at least 23 soldiers are yet to be accounted for after the insurgents ambushed a military convoy at Boboshe village in Bama local government area of the state.
Ahmad Salkida, a journalist known to have access to the leadership of Boko Haram, had earlier quoted military sources as confirming the army suffered casualties in the attack.
But in a statement on Monday, Jude Chukwu, army spokesman, said contrary to reports, only a military officer and a soldier were injured in the ambush.
He said the army successfully repelled the attack, killing 22 insurgents while others escaped injured.
The statement read: “The Nigeria army wishes to state that there was an attempted attack on troops at Kwakwa and Chingori communities in Bama area of Borno state by suspected Boko Haram terrorists as a result of difficult terrain where our vehicles bugged down.
“The terrorists also attempted to cart away troops operational vehicles, but were successfully repelled by our gallant troops with the support of the Nigerian air force.
“About 22 members of Boko Haram terrorists were neutralised while several others escaped with gunshot wounds.”
Chukwu added that the troops have intensified efforts to capture the fleeing insurgents.